google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Love Thyself

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Love Thyself

TRUTH HURTS



Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

While most will be posting cute hearts and candies I want to address what everyone is talking about and share my perspective as a mother to my own Beyonce but first lets talk about the original.

Facts:
-Her estimated net worth is $250 Million dollars
-Business woman, Wife, Mother, Song writer, Singer, Dancer oh and...Actress
-Destiny's Child was one of the world's Best Selling Girl Groups of All times
-She has earned twenty Grammy Awards
-She has sold over 118 Million records Solo and 60 Million with Destiny's Child
-Her songs touch on all subject matters from bubble gum anthems to raw reality and passionate love

I'm going to stop here because I think the message is clear. She is a woman of Power and Influence. She has earned everything she has received and she deserves respect for her hustle. I loved her Super Bowl performance as I have always loved all her performances. She gives you 100% each and every time. No excuses.

So why was White America shocked at her latest performance? Were they not aware she is and has always been an African American Woman? She's been on this earth for over 30 plus years it didn't just happen over night. Because she is light skin that fact is over looked? Or is it because her appearance doesn't scare them like Venus and Serena apparently do? Wait...is it because she made songs like Single Ladies or Run the World and their kids and they themselves too felt it was catchy tune and "safe"?
Was she not in some sort of "Formation" then?

Super Bowl Sunday she spoke one very important aspect of her journey and Truth. She told you her history in one entire song, things she has always talked about in one way or another but because it was slapping White America in the face all at once she was totally out of line. Why? Super Bowl Sunday is sacred to only one race? Was her Truth so offensive that it shouldn't be heard or displayed so the whole world can see?

The response to her Truth speaks volumes of how far we haven't come. 

illustration by picture quotes.com

Pride in who you are should never be a bad thing! When Garth Brooks or Dolly Parton speak of their Truths who's offended? How about Johnny Cash or Jerry Lee Lewis? Let's bring it closer how about Aerosmith or Bruce Springsteen? I am extremely open minded when it comes to music. Music is Universal I love all types of music including these aforementioned artists. I love how they shared their Truths, their experiences in life as seen through Their eyes. I am not offended by songs addressing their love of horses or ranch life or cheating spouse or their love affair with drugs and alcohol. The songs depict the Truth of the Artist.

She pointed out the injustices that have occurred and continue to occur to her people. The killings, the discrimination, the labels, the less than attitude...she laid it all out. Was she lying? What part of her song was a lie? Is it a lie because it is not the White America version? Minorities, again a label given to certain people by others who feel Superior are just plain and simply Tired

Myself included. I am tired of White America deflecting their low self esteem on me and those who look like me. I am tired of the labels and constant need to "try" to somehow justify all the in your face wrongs that occur daily. I am tired of having to have conversations about "the color" of someone's skin. 
Don't tell me or anyone else who has been treated poorly to "just move on". Don't disrespect the long hard journey my ancestors had by saying things like "it wasn't me". Yes it may very well not be you per say but it was your grandfather and those before him. The Civil Rights movement was in the late 50's early 60's. This is my mother's time this is not that long ago and where are we now? 

I began with a statement I have my own lil Beyonce. Why should my daughter in the year 2016 be stopped by the police because her and a group of her friends are walking down the street and "look" suspicious? Why should my daughter be told she should straighten her hair because it "will look" better? Better to who? Why did my daughter have to hear comments about her features at the age of 6? How cruel and self righteous can White America be? 



Love Thyself!!!



Love Thyself! Focus on yourself, better yourself change your history and Truths. Stop trying to change people that are not like you. We don't want to be you. We are proud of who we are. 
Love Thyself! Encourage differences and own up to past mistakes. It will really be appreciated. 

We can never move forward if the past is ignored, lied about and not acknowledged. Life just doesn't work that way the Planet never forgets.

Now let me be very clear. This is my Truth. I am writing to speak to that man or woman who just doesn't respect and get the magnitude of what took place Super Bowl Sunday. I am speaking to those that feel they were "disrespected". I am speaking to those I and the rest of my people "offend". I am speaking to those that were happy to sing "who run the world, Girls" but just don't want it to be again a Minority Girl. If what I have addressed isn't who you are than the labels don't apply and this should be a conversation starter. If what I have addressed rubs you the wrong way then again its a conversation starter and should start with you looking in the mirror asking "why does a non white person loving themselves effect and offend me?"

Thanks Beyonce for the following line because my daughter will do exactly that...

"Always stay Gracious best Revenge is your Paper


What are your thoughts? Are you tired of all the race talks and feel its time to get "over it" or do you think the talks haven't been wide and long enough and more needs to be done? Start a conversation, share your thoughts and experiences.

Always stress free xo
Mari

6 comments:

  1. OMG...I LOVE A FEARLESS VOICE!!!
    Once again Mari you've written a phenomenal post so necessary for our American people to read digest and understand. "Right on" Beyonce and every artist in the past 100 years that speak up and out on B.S. created by evil ignorant humans...which by the way isn't limited to our caucasian brothers and sisters. Keep writing I keep following you're on point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John appreciate the feedback and support. Always looking to start a conversation, especially one so badly needed.

      Delete
  2. This is what I love about all forms of art. To hear the truths of the artists, as you say, and that it gets a conversation started. There are so many things in our world that need to be addressed, and what better way to bring them into the public eye?!

    I love this post, loving yourself is one of the most important lessons we can learn. Loving ourselves and celebrating our differences are surely the way to achieve peace.

    Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandyn sorry for delay in response I thought I pressed reply geez. Thanks for visit and comments. I aim for conversation starters so hope this one is lighting some fuel :)

      Delete
  3. I don't live in U.S., so I wasn't aware about the Beyonce super bowl performance and the whole controversy. (People are more in to soccer here in the UK.) I'm all caught up now though and it made me furious! I know that people are entitled to feel offended blah blah, but geez they are morons! :)
    Love this post & totally agree! "Why does a non white person loving themselves effect and offend me?" is spot on!

    xx
    Mila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mila thank you so much, I appreciate your comments and support. Especially since your not here and aren't polluting your eyes and ears with the crap in our social media so much. Chat again soon I hope xo

      Delete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.